Kitty

My three year old cat is always eating whatever he can get to,is he hungery?

one time i was eating spagetti for dinner and my cat was eating the spagetti when he had a whole dowl of Meow Mix. Also one time my mom was eating beef jerk. He would always come up to her and try to eat the beef jerky, when he had some Meow Mix right down stairs. He barley eats his own food and he's always getting in the trash can and eating out of the trash can. Why wont he eat his own food?

Asked by Kitty on Jul 21st 2010 Tagged eatinghumanfood in Methods of Training

Answers

Meow Meow

Have you been feeding him other foods other than his own, like a bit of toast or a bit of steak from your plate? This could be a reason and now he has a taste for human food. Our little girl MeowMeow is a fan of all foods. She even likes fruit if we give it to her. A bad habit of her is that she jumps up on the kitchen bench when we are sleeping and steals food when it is left out, like some fresh baked muffins that she recently attacked. She will eat anything we give her, and we know it is naughty but we can't help it. But she never eats much tho, only a nibble. On the other hand, her brother, Lum won't eat anything other than his Dry food mixed with wet and Kangaroo meat. All cats are different which makes them so wonderful. And I don’t think this is a problem as much as long as they dont eat anything harmful but if you want too keep him from doing it then lock your food away and do what I do, put a lid on the bin*

Meow Meow answered on 7/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Louie (1996-2013)

My cats are horribly picky about their food, and won't eat certain brands or flavors. Your kitty doesn't like what he has, and is looking for alternatives.

Are you just feeding him kibble? He may prefer wet food, or may not like the kibble you're giving him.

Try a brand with less fillers, something meat based. If he loves his food, he'll be less inclined to beg for human food. And don't perpetuate the cycle by giving him scraps.

Louie (1996-2013) answered on 7/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samantha

Do not, and I can't stress this enough, allow your cat to eat human food. There are many things that are toxic to cats (including onions - easily found in spaghetti sauce). I know you may not feel that snacks are bad, but they can be unhealthy as well.

I would recommend changing the type of food you are feeding him. I would recommend trying some wet cat food (which is actually healthier because it gives the cat more water content and doesn't build up tartar on teeth like dry food does). Since wet cat food is more like human food he might like it better. Otherwise, switch up the brand (Samantha only eats Iams Multi-cat dry - otherwise she just pukes and pukes).

Samantha answered on 7/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zelda

Another thing to check is kitty's teeth. Does he have a hard time chewing the kibble. It may be his teeth hurt when he chews the dry food. Kitty's get cavities too. My roommate, Callicat, likes a bit of people food now and then, especially brie cheese and prunes (she's weird) but mom only lets her have a tiny bit of either.

Zelda answered on 7/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sydney

maybe he doesnt like kind of dry food. try a different brand. just dont feed the kitty alot of table scraps only as a treat and make sure its not toxic to the kitty. i will admit Sydney is THE WORST! she will jump on the table. just to see what i am making i have to actually shoo her away 3xs... Misty is the oppisite she doesnt like Human food. crinkles her nose. lol. Silly cats. sometimes i think they want to act like dogs...

Sydney answered on 7/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer