My stray is an adult and I know she was a house cat. I bought her own litter box and she uses it, but not always. How ca

How do I reintroduce litter box to my new stray. She has her own box, and has done her business in it. In the last 2 mornings however I have found messes. I have helped her in her box and held her paw and scrached.
What more can I do?

Asked by Member 1153871 on Feb 6th 2013 Tagged formerhousecatputout, nowreunitedwithlitterbox in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons. One is stress and the other is a health issue. If you haven't taken her to the vet recently for a "well-kitty" exam, now is the time to at least phone them and ask for their advice. If finances are a concern, most vets will work with you on payments. If you have other cats, make sure that they are not harrassing her while she's in the box. Cats feel very vulnerable when they're using their box and if they feel "threatened" while using it, they'll potty someplace else. She may need more than one box. If she was an outside cat for any length of time, she's used to going wherever she wanted to outdoors. If you have room, put out a few extra boxes so she'll always have one handy.