Skittles

My six month calico is being clingy...refuses to be by herself. Is this normal?

When I get my phone to check facebook, walk to the bathroom, try to cuddle with my husband. My cali will always be right there purring, headbutting, meowing her head off, bite a love bite, and insists she lays on my curve on my side(as she does right now) is this a sign of a clingy kitty or a super loving kitty??

Asked by Skittles on Oct 31st 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Artemis

Cats show affection through touch. Most cats are very affectionate, especially when there is only one cat in the house. You are all she has for companionship. You are her life. If you want her to not be so clinging you need to get another cat. If you won't get another cat you have to get use to this. Also, begin regular exercise with her because she has no feline friends to run around with. So get a stick toy with the shinny thing that hangs, a beam toy (points a red beam that you move around and she can chase) and a stuffed toys and scratch post for one or both if you get another. Also training by conditioning is everything. When she comes to bed with you and hubby place her where it is comfortable for you two. It may take weeks but she will come to understand where her place is at bed time.

Artemis answered on 10/31/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree, and this is "normal" behavior for cretain personalities of domestic cats. Some can never get enough attention. So yes, she's a lover, and getting her a neutered friend in a few months would be great. That's assuming that they would want to be friends, but all of mine are, and I have two girls and two boys. You do need to keep her more occupied with treats, chasers, window perches, toys etc. to entertain her, because it does sound like she is bored. She's also a kitten, so she will calm down in approximately another year. ^_^

Little Skittles

That;s normal behavior for a kitten alone. One reason why two kittens are better than one is that they don't become so needy and dependent on humans for attention.

Some of these behaviors are just those of a loving cat. When I'm sitting on the bed using my laptop like now, Uno stretches herself across my lap between me and the laptop and sleeps there, the three kittens are curled by my side, Lily is sleeping behind my head, and several other cats are scattered around other parts of the bed. When I get up, most of them will get up and follow me to see where I'm going and what I'm doing.

Little Skittles answered on 11/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer