My Ragdoll went from being calm and relaxed to being mean once she was introduced to another cat. HELP!!

I have a 1 year old female ragdoll cat. This cat is usually calm and relaxed. We have had a kitten before, and she would play with him, but we moved into an apartment and could not keep him. She was introduced to my dads poodle and she did fine with her as well. She would smell her but was never hostile. Today we chose to get another ragdoll, who is an 8 year old male. He is neutered and declawed. We let him out of the cat carrier, and let him explore. As soon as our female ragdoll seen him she started to growl, hiss, and strike at him. Why? What can I do to get her to be nice to him. Will she eventually get use to him? He hasn't done anything to her, he didn't charge her or even hiss at her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Asked by Member 1135604 on Oct 12th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Unfortunately, the introduction of the 2 cats was not done correctly. Ideally, you would have brought the male home, set him up in his own room with litter box, food, water and a few toys and let the female, whose territory he is invading, get used to his sounds and scent. Every so often, you would put the female in the room for a short time to let her explore his presence and let him out to explore the house. You would go into the room to visit with the male and let him get used to you. After a few days or up to 2 weeks, if the cats are pawing at each other under the door and the female can go to the door without hissing or swiping at him, you would let the male out with the female for supervised visits. If the female became too upset, back into the room he goes. Start over and put the male in a separate room.