My ragdoll cat stopped playing almost overnight at 6 monthes old. Is this normal for this breed?

my ragdoll cat at 6 months old does not want to play at all anymore, why?

Asked by Member 712675 on Feb 24th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

♥Sam

Has it hurt itself?
Did something scare it when it plays?
Is the play too rough?
Maybe your kitty is unwell and needs to see a vet.
Maybe it ate something it shouldn't have and it's causing a problem.
It does seem strange to stop over night.
I hope you find the answer and it's not serious

♥Sam answered on 2/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sam's questions are all excellent ones. We always advise that any time there is a sudden change in a cat's behavior, your first course of action should be a trip to the vet's for a check-up. Six months is still a kitten and kitten-ish behavior can extend well into adulthood for some cats. I've heard that Ragdolls are the couch potato of the cat world, but what you've described isn't a gradual maturing, it's a sudden change and that sends up a red flag. If your cat gets a clean bill of health, then research what's gone on in your home. Sometimes when the cat is no longer an adorable kitten and becomes a regular member of our home and family, we stop being so enthusastic about playtimes, new toys, and time spent with the "new" member. It's not that we're neglecting the kitty, but just getting comfortable with it. Something could have happened, as Sam said, that frightened your cat. Try spending some time playing with your cat-feather teasers, laser lights, etc. See if that works.

I agree with Sam and Izzie that a trip to the vet is probably in order if this is a sudden change in behavior. Cats are really good at pain.

If everything is medically okay, maybe try a new or different style of toy to capture your cat's attention. Sometimes they just get bored with their toys just like our human kids do.

Misty

I agree with what has been said. Just to add my ragdoll is 7 months old and she still likes to play. She does however prefer to start the game herself ( usually in the evening) and get me to join in and will ignore my efforts if she is not in the mood. If the vet is happy your cat is well try adding some extra interest to the games.The breed is intelligent and can get bored . A bit of bubble wrap a paper bag or a cardboard box may add a new spark.

Misty answered on 2/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atrus

Ragdolls are not couch potatoes :( Well, maybe a little.

Like everyone else, I'm gonna recommend a vet visit just in case.

Atrus is 11 months and can be very playful at times. He likes his toys and will still go crazy over his TurboScratcher or a laser pointer. He will also get energetic and just run around at times (he likes to leap onto the recliner, since it rocks back and forth when he lands on it). But a lot of the time he is very quiet and enjoys sitting by me and purring and following me whenever I go to another room. Ragdolls are not excessively energetic cats, but they are intelligent and should play when properly enticed.

Atrus answered on 2/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer