Pepper

My previous cat had coronoavirus, besides disposing of all his belongings and waiting 90 days, any other precautions?

According to the vet, I should get rid of all Pepper's and wait 90 days before bringing home another cat. Does anyone have experience with this and is there any advice or recommendations they can offer?

Asked by Pepper on May 4th 2013 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

I'm so sorry for your loss. My daughter lost 3 kittens to FIP and I know how traumatic this disease is. Usually, if you live in a warmer climate and you can open windows and doors, air and sunlight goes a long way to destroy this airborne virus. Discard any of Pepper's belongings that are porous and cannot be washed in hot soapy water and then rinsed in a 1:32 mixture of household bleach and water. Litter pans should be discarded and replaced with new. Any residual litter that may have been kicked out of the box or spilled should be vacuumed and the bag sealed and tossed. Scratching posts or "condos" should be scrubbed thoroughly with soap and water. Beds and blankets should be washed and also bleached if possible. Toys should be wiped down with the 1:32 solution of bleach/water. Other cats in the home,if there are any, should be cleared by a vet before bringing another cat in. Good luck. We send purrs...