my park manager insists that all pets must be on a leash-he is in at night.is this true? they trap and kill here

my cat has his ear nicked so he won't be picked up, and over the years he has learned to come when i whistle and also rings a bell to ask to get in or out.I have never seem him out of the park and he cruises by every hour or so and basically sleeps on or under my car or behind the trailer. he is nosy,though and i have seen him come out of other trailers where he snoops in their closets.he was born here a litter of one, so i kept him.

Asked by Member 987888 on May 19th 2010 in Animal Control

Answers

You could try keeping him in at night. My home town tried to pass a "cat leash" ordinance, but it got shot down. I don't know where you live, but I would check with the local law enforcement authorities and see what they say. Otherwise, this park manager could be making up his own rules. Some people don't like cats. Be careful if this is the case. You never know what people will do to cats, especially those who don't like our furry little friends.

Guest is right. I have an outdoor cat now (Lily) and also had Ernie, who would bum all over our development and eventually met his fate on the road. During my years in animal rescue, I talked to people who complained because the neighbor's cats used their flower beds for pottying and also hunted birds at their feeders. It's also possible that while your cat is in the neighbor's trailers, be may be doing things in the closets other than snooping. Even neutered cats mark if they smell another cat in what they consider "their" territory. Now, chances are your cat would be miserable inside and like Lily, may do damage to your windows and/or screens trying to get out. Many cities have leash laws but that usually applies to dogs. Most trailer parks have a regulation that dogs must be leashed when outside and cats must be indoors. If they manage the park, they are allowed to set their own rules. If no one is complaining about your cat, you can rest easy, but be prepared in case he's trapped.