Kettle

My older cat 2 yrs old, Kettle, bites and pulls my younger cat's 10 months old, Cookie's whiskers. Why is that?

My older cat 2 yrs old, Kettle (male-neutered), bites and pulls my younger cat's 10 months old, Cookie's (male-neutered) whiskers. I usually catch Kettle doing this action when they're playing. They don't fight or hurt each other. They don't shout at each other. I don't observe anything stressful. However Kettle sits on Cookie and Cookie let's him to do so. Is this about the "re-whiskering" stage at this age for Cookie or is it something different like for example Kettle declaring authority on him? How can I stop this. Please help. Thanks.

Asked by Kettle on Aug 8th 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Kettle is probably doing this because Cookie's whiskers are attractive to him. Cookie may also been a little lax in the grooming department and have bits of food in his whiskers. You don't say how long the boys have been together, but there is a stage when the older cat will let the younger one know who's boss. Sometimes it works the other way and the younger one will harass the older one until the older one says "enough" and swats at him. (Think male lion and his cubs.) I would not try to stop it. As long as there is no fighting, Cookie doesn't mind and it's not something they do 24/7, I'd just leave them alone. You can try wiping Cookie's face with a damp paper towel after he eats wet food, just in case it is the residue of a meal that's attracting Kettle. When you see them doing this, if it bothers you, distract them with a favorite toy and spend some time playing with them. As long as Cookie doesn't mind, it's OK.

Izzie is correct in that there is not a problem unless Cookie says so. Animals develop grooming rituals differently than humans. You do not have to understand all of their behaviors, but if something is wrong, you will hear wailing from one of them... for sure. ^_^