my old cat is not eating at all and falling over but can you please look this over and answer please very much

my 23 year old cat i had since a week old is change very much. he stop eating the food he likes and only eat 1 type. for a week now he gave him many types and he pick at it but for the last 2 days he didnt touch it. we cant take it to the vet becuase he will have a heart attack if he leave the house and also when he walks his back legs give out and her fall over. this bin happign for about a month. can you please help me

Asked by Member 764375 on Nov 7th 2008 Tagged food, walking in Pet Food

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I'm sorry, but your kitty needs to see a vet! We are not vets here and even if we were, couldn't diagnose without seeing and examining your cat and possibly running some lab work. Are any vets in your area willing to make house calls (if you are that nervous about bringing your cat in)? Only a vet can tell you what is wrong with your cat.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

I agree with Mr Fez. Your cat sounds very sick and needs to go see a vet ASAP.

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We would like to help you, but we are not vets here and shouldn't tell people what to do with their sick cats. If we tell you the wrong thing, your cat could get much sicker. If your cat cannot leave the house because he is stressed out by that, find a vet who will make house calls. Many do and even your regular vet may come to your house.

Minxy (1987-2008)

The others are right you need to get a vet to see him either at home or take him to their ofice. Old cats can get very sick very fast and he will die if he doesn't get treated. My 21 year cat Minxy got an infection a couple of months ago and got very sick too. The vet gave her fluids, anti-biotics and some stuff to stop her feeling sick/improve her apetite and she recovered. If it is very serious and he can't be treated the vet can euthanise him so he has a peaceful death and avoids any more suffering.

If you don't have a crate/carrier borrow one from the vet and cover it in a towell/blanket when you take him in so he feels safe. He sounds so sick that a trip to the vet would not be too bad for him.

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My 19 year old cat was in the same situation. She quit eating and was staggering. She wouldnt get up anymore. I made the mistake of taking her into the vet. It was her time to die and i wish i would have let her go peacefully. Instead we put her in her carrier and she cried, got her into the car and half way there made her last big cry and passed away before we even got her there. I so regret not letting her die on her own at home where she was the most comfortable. This is just another perspective. If your cat is that old it may be her time.

Maxine

CALL your vet and ask his/her advice over the phone if a trip is too stressful. I agree with the house call, most of them do, you only need to ask.

You have been blessed with having him that long, you may need to let him be and go in peace.

Maxine answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is possible that your cat suffered a "saddle thrombus" which is like a stroke in humans-see the following for more details
blog.embracepetinsurance.com

Our 17 year old cat had this 3 years ago and regained some use of his back legs (with medication)and is still hobbling around at age 19 1/2 without pain. You have to take your cat to the vet. Good luck Tom