My nine year old cat is peeing and pooping on the bed.

I don't know if my other cat is stressing her out or if she is just mad at me.

Asked by Member 1031094 on Apr 19th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Inappropriate elimination is usually due to 2 things. One IS definitely stress. If your cats don't get along, if the other cat chases the 9yr old and harrasses her, she could be using her pee and poo to "mark" her territory. My Delilah would occasionally pee/poo in our bathtub at our old house, but since we've moved, it's become a regular habit. I'm certain in her case it's due to stress. Cats like an orderly, quiet and stress free household. If they don't get it, they do act out. You may want to instill some playtimes between you and the 2 cats using feather teasers, laser lights, anything to get them to play together peaceably. Pay extra attention to the 9yr. old. If it is stress, she needs some reassurance that you still love her. Also, you may want to have the vet check her out just to make sure it's not a health issue which can also cause her to stop using the box. Make sure she has her own litter box, that she doesn't have to share. Keep it in the same place and clean daily.

Dahlia

Izzy is right on. At 9 years old, your kitty is considered a senior by most vets. When a cat is in this age group, not only do they need to be seen by a vet every 6 months, but also when any changes in behavior or habits occur. So many individuals automatically assume that the animal is mad at them when it uses the bathroom inappropriately, when the truth is the cause is a medical one the majority of the time. For instance, my mother has a 9 year old cat as well that would jump on the bed when my mother was in it and urinate right in front of her. She was convinced that the cat was angry with her because she had switched wet food brands. I helped my mom to understand that her cat needed to be seen by a vet to find the real cause of the issue. Turns out, the cat had a urinary infection and likely had it for months. A simple round of antibiotics cleared up the issue and took away the cat's pain and irritation, which caused her to urinate the moment she felt she had to go.

Dahlia answered on 4/19/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer