My neutered male cat continues to try to mate with my female cat that has been spayed. It sounds like he's hurting her.

The main question is does the male cat's penis have "spikes" that would hurt the female? The other question is since they are both fixed, why is he continuously trying to mate with her?

Asked by Member 827006 on Apr 16th 2009 Tagged matingbehavior, neuteredmale, spayedfemale in Behavior & Training

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Are you sure he's trying to mate with her? Or is he trying to dominate her? Has he just recently been neutered? If so, his testosterone levels haven't dropped and he may still have the urge to mate. Yes, a male cat's penis does have backward facing spikes that are uncomfortable for the female. However, I believe that when neutered, the spikes go away.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 4/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a brother and sister duo who were inseparable until she predeceased him at age 15 (he died at 18). Once a month, like clockwork, he'd mount her and they'd go through a fake mating ritual. I believe that his penis was extended but that he did not insert it (I checked once to make sure what was really going on down there). As male cats will do, he bit her neck while on top of her, and while he seemed to get something out of the experience, she did NOT like having her neck bitten (even though he never broke the skin), and would whine through the whole thing. These cats were from moggies from an oops litter my friend's cat had, were indoor kitties, and were desexed at 6 months. It was just instinct that made the male do what he did. It could also have been a show of dominance, because although they were very close, he was the dominant one of the pair--she would let him eat first, etc. This kind of behavior is not uncommon with fixed cats; males even do it with each other.

I think it is just instinct. Several years ago, I had 2 females, both spayed, and the younger of the 2 would try and mount the older one. I don't know what that was all about as they were both girls, but the younger one always was kind of kooky!