My neutered cat of about 4 years old won't stop spraying in my house. Nothing has changed, why is he doing that?

He has been treated for a UTI before but I don't really think that is what is wrong w/ him bc if I catch him about 2 do it and yell at him, he will go get in his box. Its not that he can't hold it long enough 2 make it there. He normally does it on my front door but also likes 2 do it on my bathroom rug. Also, in the last few months I have noticed that he licks constantly towards his hind quarters so much so that his fur is falling out. He has long hair and I keep him brushed but sometimes it looks like he is pulling his hair out. He doesnt have fleas and have tried switching him 2 a sensitive skin food. Could his spraying b related 2 him pulling his fur out? This is driving me crazy, am sooo tired of cleaning up cat pee. Please help!

Asked by Member 1092624 on Feb 16th 2012 Tagged grooming in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

He needs to be examined and diagnosed by a vet, as there is obviously something wrong. His inappropriate urination could be related to his overgrooming, or it could be something completely different. You won't know until you take him to a vet.

If you "yell" at your cat, you will only make the problems worse. The fact that you "yell" at him and he then uses his litterbox does not necessarily mean that he isn't having urinary problems. It sounds as if he may be afraid of you, and that is no way for a cat to live.

Please do not delay a vet visit any longer. Your cat sounds very stressed and possibly ill, and he needs medical attention. You need to be patient with him and help him through his problems, and treat him with love and care.

Th guys give excellent advice, as usual. Neutering does not stop a cat from spraying. Cats spray because they are territorial and they use their urine as a message to other cats that this is their territory and to stay away. Whenever I see a stray cat outside, I know that I'll find Izzie's spray on my side door and on the rug. Cats will stop using the box for 2 main reasons, a health issue (a vet needs to determine if your cat has any concerns by an exam and testing.), and stress. If you're stressing your cat out by yelling at him, he'll develope other problems like over-grooming and pulling his fur out. If you can, AFTER you take him to his vet, put some extra boxes out. I've done that and it works. Keep the boxes VERY clean and in a private, quiet place. Don't yell at him. It's stressing both of you out. You can also use the Feliway plug-ins by the boxes as those will attract him to the box. Don't give up on him. Work with your vet to find a solution.

I agree with the people who answered before me. If u ever had an iud you-know-what. Bladder infections in nuetered males is common when they have a diet high in ash. Ash is a common filler in cheap cat food. Ash causes urine to development crystals in the bladder which lacerat the ureathr all the way to the end. These lacerations become infected and the infection spreads to the bladder,kidneys bloodstream and so on. This condition is often referred to as cystitis. The pain of passing the crystals and the infection cause Kitty to feel like he's gotta pee all the time in a immediately kind of way. No time for tidy cat. And when they do pee its like a hot poker has...well you get the picture. So its a small amount of urine causing a world of pain and this puts Kitty in a very bad mood. Plus the urine is usually Concentrated with blood in it. If it hurts to pee you tend to avoid fluids. I don't care who you are. Antibiotics and lots of liquids help .

Cami

I had a problem going potty on places I wasn't supposed to go my dad yelled at me a lot so I stopped. But it sounds like this kitty might be a little anxious. I'm not a vet but they also have these plug ins that calm you down that are supposed to be effective:
www.amazon.com although I have never used them. You can find them at petco and petsmart also.

Cami answered on 2/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer