my male cat, peeing and pooping all of a sudden every where but the litter box!

what is upseting me about it , Taz my cat is peeing on my daughters toys,her funiture our dirty clothes hamper, and rugs throughout the house, i left town for a week and my sitter told me he was pooping on her things in her room, (and i was shocked he never has done this and he is 3 yrs old and fixed) i figured it was because i was gone so i came home early to tend to him, and he is still doing the pooping and peeing where ever he feels like it.. his litter and box (self cleaning) are the same as always.. its in the same place as always and Cleaned daily (because i have a female cat also) there has to be something that i can do to get him to stop. any help.. or is his new behavior here to stay...

Asked by Member 759203 on Oct 25th 2008 Tagged litterbox, behavior, peeing, poopin, cats in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Baxter

I am having the same problem with my 10yr old Persian male. He just started peeing and pooping in one of my recliners. I took him to the vet and he is healthy. I have not changed anything about his litterbox, but I was considering buyin a self-cleaning to see if that would help. Maybe he doesn't think I am cleaning it enough?? Although, he has done within an hour of the litter being completely changed out. I understand your frustration. I hope you figure out something that works, and if you do let me know because I am desperate for help!!!

Leanna

Baxter answered on 10/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boris

If Taz hasn't seen a vet following the start of this problem, he should do so immediately. Here's why:

1. Whenever a behavior is sudden and unexpected, you should act on suspicion that a cat is sick until a vet confirms otherwise. So that's one reason to take him to a vet immediately.
2. Even cats with the best cat box etiquette will poo and pee everywhere when they are sick. He might have developed a Urinary Tract Infection. UTIs can occur from diet and/or stress, and once the cat associates pain in eliminating with a litter box, they will avoid it. UTIs can cause urinary blockages, which can be deadly to a cat. Reason 2 to rush him to a vet.
3. If the vet finds nothing wrong with the health of your cat, but that it is a behavioral problem, said vet can usually give you some pointers on how to correct the behavior, or failing any behavioral modification strategy that works, help you figure out if behavioral meds are the way to go.

So to sum it up: see a vet if you haven't yet.

Boris answered on 10/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My cat Lanie had/has this problem. After all possible physical reasons were explored and eliminated, we determined that it was psychological (she also suffers from obsessive-compusive disorder).

We determined that she was holding it on purpose and then having accidents when she could not hold it any longer (which made the experience tramatic, thus encouraging her to try and avoid pooping even more).

First time this happened, we moved the box to the normal place of the accident and then slowly moved it back to where it was originally. However, a few months later, the behavior returned and the accidents were less predictable in location.

Now I take her to the litter box everyday at the same time to go poop. She knows that she has to go poop to leave the room and get a treat. After a few weeks of this training, she became very compliant and goes right away when told to. However, I when we go on vacation she usually goes back to her old ways in 3 days.

Xander

Xander had this problem around that age too. He had crystals in his urine. But I agree with baxter. Take him to the vet. I was told by the vet that often if they are sick or in pain they will associate the pain with the litterbox and thus avoid it. He could be in pain or sick so I would definately take him to the vet to eliminate anything medical as the cause. Good luck and I hope he is feeling better!

Xander answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer