My male adult cat grabs the new male kitten by the neck with his teeth, and drags him around...is it normal?

We brought a new kitten home because my brother moved away and took his female cat with him, and my male cat missed having someone of his kind. He cried a lot.

The kitten is male too, and is barely 3 months old. At first they didn't get along at all, but we locked the kitten into a specific room (mine) with food, water, and his own litterbox. We let them smell each other from time to time, and after 10 days we opened the room. They play and seem to get along well, but lately my adult cat has been grabbing him by the neck with his teeth and he won't let go, even if I tell him not to. It's like he's in a trance. Sometimes he drags him around, and does this sort of purring/meowing short noise when he's about to bite him.

Is this normal behaviour?

Asked by Member 1148578 on Jan 6th 2013 Tagged kitten, cat, newcat, socialization, neck in Behavior & Training

Answers

When I did rescue work, we had one male cat who had a big piece out of his ear, battle scars, a crooked tail and was blind in one eye. He was our resident "babykittysitter". He could be a better "mama cat" than the birth mother. If your cat isn't outright attacking the baby, I wouldn't worry about it. As the baby grows, your boy won't be able to pick him up b/c he'll be to heavy and big. Make sure both cats are neutered to avoid genuine fighting later on. As long as the baby isn't screaming, there's no fur flying, etc. I wouldn't worry about it and let the 2 boys define their own relationship.