Lucy

My kitty snaps at my oldest teen boy when he tries to pet her. Any ideas?

It's not Lucy, it's Mango, my lynx point siamese, btw. It won't update my kitty.

Asked by Lucy on Aug 16th 2014 Tagged snapping, biting in Behavior & Training

Answers

Mikko

Get him to play with Mango more, and then after some playing, make him feed Mango more often then you do. Then after some time, he can lure Mango onto his lap with some treats or the feather toy and build some trust with him. Don't let him try to pick Mango up or pet him until he is ready for that. Cats are wild at heart. After playtime, they usually feed. So make sure that your boy is playing with Mango and then giving him food or treats. If Mango stops responding to the playing, then just give him some time and make sure there is no punishment for the cat. It may take a couple weeks, but I'm sure Mango and your boy will bond.
Hope this helps!

Mikko answered on 8/18/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is a chance that he did something to her when he was younger that he doesn't even remember... but she does. Some cats are less trusting or affectionate than others. have him be the treat giver. A bag of catnip Greenies dental treats, with him feeding her a few each day, could become a nice ritual for both of them when he comes home from school or after dinner. Some cats respond nicely to food, while others could care less... toys might work too. ^_^