My kitty seems scared all the time, afraid of me walking tward it??

My Male kitty named Sunshine is a scared kitty. When we picked him, all of his brothers and sisters were grey/blue meideum hairs. He is an orange/yellow longhair. He were taken in with my brother, and we both have orange eyes. They both were very fine when they were little. My daughter plays with "her" kitten, Sunshine, very oddly. She'll crunch into a tight ball around Sunshine and uses him as like a pillow. Well, Sunshine is about 11 mounths old now and very afraid. Of me. Whenever I try to stop and pet him, My daughter takes him away because she doesn't want me touching "her" kitten, or the kitten backs away. My other cat from the same family, Speckles as we call him, seems to own me. At times when i'm alone with Sunshine, he cuddles and purrs and is sooo loving untill either Speckles or my daughter comes. He also has a tendencey, even when i'm walking twards him slowly, seems scared and runs and hides. Please help????

Asked by Member 658269 on Jul 19th 2008 Tagged scared, kitten, help, cuddle in Fears & Phobias

Best Answer

You don't say how old your daughter is, but I feel you might need to explain to her that Sunshine is the whole family's kitty and that she is welcome to be friends with Speckles as well. It's possible that Sunshine is picking up on the tension when your daughter protests that he's "her's" and he might associate her with crying or yelling. No child should be allowed to treat an animal like a toy, and sorry, but that's what it sounds like your daughter may be doing. My son occasionally uses his 100 lb. Labrador as a "pillow" but he doesn't restrict the dog from getting up and leaving, which it sounds like your daughter may be doing by trapping Sunshine against her. Children and animals learn very early in life how one treats the other and it leaves a lifelong impresson on each. Please work with your daughter on how to treat animals and she and Sunshine may just form a lifelong bond with no force needing to be used!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jul 21st.

Answers

Cow and Bahji

Some cats are just shy and jumpy, as their personality. Is there any reasopn your daugher doesn't want anyone touching "her" kitty or that she plays with him in an unusual manner? that could be making him nervous too. Scrunching around him might be scaring him as most cats hate being confined in a small place. Could you get a child's kitty learning book for your daughter so she can learn cat behaviour and how to play with them in a way that might be less frightening to Sunshine? It would be an educational book regardless. I would also encourage her to let other people and you pet Sunshine so that he'll become for friendly and socialbe and used to other peoples attention. Gentle pets and treats do wonders too. best of luck.

Cow and Bahji answered on 7/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer