my Kitty Has Bad House Training Problems

My Cat Taffy Is An Outdoor Cat.He stays Out Most Of The Day.i Keep The Window Open As We Havent Got A Cat Flap So He Can Come And Go As He Pleases.At A Certain Time Of Night We Shut The Window As We Know He Is Safe Inside Overnignt And Then Open The Window In The Morning. During The Night He Uses The Litter Box But Dont Sit In It Properly And If We Try To Show Him He Runs Away And Then Does His Bussiness On The Floor.He Has Started A Habit Of This And Its Really Worrying As I have A Baby On The Way In 12 Weeks What Can I Do About This??? Also We Have No Idea How Old He Is And When we first got him he didnt do this.

Asked by Member 1091548 on Oct 4th 2012 Tagged litter in Behavior & Training

Answers

If Taffy hasn't been to the vet for a while, you may want to consider taking him in, just to make sure he has no health concerns. You also want to have him vaccinated and examined before the baby comes because he could bring nasty stuff in from other cats and animals outside, and have him neutered if he's not already. Change out Taffy's litterbox and replace it with one of those large underbed storage boxes that Rubbermaid makes (Wal-mart or Target). He may just need a bigger area to "go" in. Don't yell at or otherwise discipline him because it will just make the situation worse. He's just not aware that his "business end" is hanging out of the box. If he's a larger cat, he needs a larger box. Good luck and best wishes for your baby!