Cosmo

My kitty has another rodent ulcer, this time on his bottom lip. Any suggestions on what I can do food wise?

He has had a few rodent ulcers in the year I have had him, he saw a vet the very first time and they gave him medication for it. I believe it is due to allergic reactions, I have changed his litter as he had an issue with scented. I have also switched up his food as he is allergic to fish flavoring. He had one a few weeks ago that went away on its own but this one is bad. If you have any suggestions on better types of food for him that would be great as I do not have the funds to take him to a vet at this time.

Asked by Cosmo on Sep 28th 2012 in Skin Problems

Answers

Unfortunately, rodent ulcers, especially bad ones, need vet care. Also unfortunately, vets are aware that everyone has financial issues these days and most are willing to work out a payment plan with you. Your cat needs antibiotics and cortisone, and not the kind of cortisone you get at the drug store. It's probably more than an allergy, although allergies (and using plastic food dishes) can make the problem worse. It's thought that cats who are susceptible to rodent ulcers may have been exposed to Feline Leukemia and he should probably be tested while you're at the vets. There really isn't anything you can do on your own to cure him. You can also ask a friend or family member to give you a loan as an early Holiday gift.