Footless

My kitty, Boots is 20 years old. He has a lot of thick undercoat that I try to comb out but it seems to hurt him. I hav

Asked by Footless on Apr 7th 2013 Tagged combing, comb in Grooming

Answers

I wouldn't go too crazy trying to brush him, and I would use one of those brushes that doesn't hurt. At 20 years old, he surely has some arthritis and probably other aches and pains from age. He might just be ticklish too. I've seen gloves that you can wear that you can brush them with....I have never used them, but that might be an idea. You could just get him when he is dozing on your lap or next to you and pet him while you are getting some hair off with those gloves. I don't know how well they work, but it might be worth a look into. My maine coon has a thick under coat and everywhere else, I use the furminator on his back and tail, but not on his belly, because he is very ticklish, but it doesn't seem to be an issue...it's thick, but it's not matted. If your cat's hair isn't matted, I would leave it alone. If it is, try out several brushes and try to get him when he is very relaxed and calm.

Beep is right. I have the same problem with Delilah and Izzie and I have the scars to prove it. I got an all plastic brush at the grocery store, of all places, and they tolerate this better than a comb or one of those wire "slicker" brushes that scratch their skin. At any given time in the evening, I could have all 3 of my cats on my lap and I take this opportunity to do things like trim their claws and get at the mats. I keep the sessions VERY short. Only a few minutes. They will tolerate it for that long. They give me a nasty look, get off my lap, and then a few minutes later they're back.