Libby

My kitty baby Libby is overweight and I keep exercising her with no success. I will explain in the description.

Hey Catster! I have a problem that may not be such a big deal now, but my baby will have a shorter life! My darling Libby is about 2-3 pounds overweight. She has a big potbelly that sways when she walks. I wouldn't mind except it affects her health. I don't do this much, but to show how fat she is, I hold her up by her armpits, and the other half of her body hangs down. It looks like she's pregnant. I'm not sure if it is because she eats more, or just because of her metabolism. I exercise her daily with a laser light that she chases, but this doesn't seem to be working. We even bought a food ball that she has to bat around for the food to come out. Do you guys have any suggestions to help her lose weight?

Asked by Libby on Mar 27th 2009 Tagged exercise, health, fat, potbelly, libby, help, cat, overweight in Exercise

Answers

Well, she may need to go to the vet for blood tests and a thorough exam. That's where I would start. If it turns out that she is "just fat", then your vet will recommend a diet program and how and what you should feed her.

Going to the vet for an exam isn't a bad idea. I'd recommend feeding her a light food. Since I started feeding my cat Science Diet Light Hairball Control food, she hasn't had a problem staying at the weight she should be at.

Philbert

I agree with izzie, it could be something wrong healthwise that she needs check out. Also, You don't state this, but if you free feed and leave food out for her all day I would stop that and put her on scheduled feedings of an appropriate amount two or three times a day as you can. One of my kittie is on a diet and get 1/2 can of wet food in the morning and when I get home for work, and shares a 1/4 cup snack of dry food during the day from an automatic feeder i got on amazon called "le Bistro" its worked great so far and they havent figured out yet out to get the kibble out of the unit before the timer goes off. Both cats are getting plenty to eat, but dont "bored eat" throughout the day.

Philbert answered on 3/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When Oscar was getting a little too big for his britches so to speak, our vet suggested switching him to an indoor food because it's lower in calories. He also suggested reducing the amount we feed him by one-third per meal.

I agree with Izzie that you need to discuss this issue with your vet. He or she can tell you exactly how overweight your cat is and how to safely get her to a healthier weight for her body type.

You mentioned in another post that you leave food out all day.... this may be a contributing factor. It may also factor in with your other problem with your other kitty constantly throwing up.

It is a myth that cats will "self-regulate" their food intake.

Pull up the free-feeding dish. Usually the recommended amounts for daily portions are listed on the bag. Measure out the proper amount for each cat and give at regular mealtimes (split one daily portion between breakfast & dinner). Separate them if one is a piggy and tries to steal from the other.

Truly, this will be your first step to a healthier furmily.

Tabby

Hi, Here are my suggestions
My cats were quite overweight when I had them on Science diet light (no offense meant)
Every cat is different and have different needs.What works for one might not work for the other.As Izzie mentioned you should check wth your Vet first. Also Get a measuring cup from them. In my case,
I free feed my cats (Cherry & Tabby) I give them Wellness Core dry food 3/4 cup(standard cup for pet food measurement given by my Vet) but they eat this for 2 whole days.Also I give them Wet food 1/4 of 5.5 oz can in the morning & 1/4 of 5.5 oz can in the evening.They are on Ideal weight & Vet is impressed. Do not restrict their food intake.Dont give them too many treats.Have them exercise.If you have stairs within,place the food in upper level & have them work for their food. continue to Play with laser light.Please ensure that she doesnt lose too too soon. My vet told me that they should ideally lose 1 pound over 2-3 months.Too much too soon is not good too.

Tabby answered on 3/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer