My kittens fur fell out, now grown back gray stripped not chocolate brown. Why?

I brought a chocolate coloured queen kitten. She was very sick when I picked her up. Really bad diarrhoea, then in two days her fur started falling out in big lumps, This left her hairless around her neck and down her back. Took her to vet was given meds to stop tummy troubles. Within 4 days she was better. Now her fur has grown back gray stripped. Why she looks a mess long brown fur on her legs, tail and head then a gray band around her body from neck to back end including her tummy. Will her fur ever go brown again?

Asked by Member 1140804 on Nov 15th 2012 Tagged furloss, changeofcolour in Health & Safety

Answers

I've heard that stress can cause a cat's fur to fall out and sometimes grow back a different color. And, unless the cat is a purebred, it's possible that when the fur grows back in, because of her genetic background, it could come in the color of one of her ancestor's breeds. A friend had a Russian Blue mix with cancer, and after his chemotherapy treatments, showed Tortoiseshell colors. Since she was so very ill, I would keep in touch with your vet. Gentle grooming will stimulate the skin and promote healthy fur regrowth.