Jinx

My kitten won't go to his litter box on his own

My kitten is 7wks old and we've had him 6 days now, when I notice him needing to go I gently lift him up put him in the box and he does his business no problem, but if I don't catch him in time he just pee's on the carpet and goes under my kitchen unit for a poo! please help

Asked by Jinx on Jan 17th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Try kitten training litter or litter additive. Petsmart makes their own Exquisicat litter in jugs of 20 lbs. and Dr. Elsey's makes a litter additive that you sprinkle on the litter that works the same as the training litter. This happens when kittens were feral or were separated from their moms too early to be taught how to use a sandbox. Give the little guy a chance. He should be ready for solid kitten food now like Nutro Natural Choice Wholesome Essentials kitten in the light green bag. They should eat kitten food for a year, and adult food after that. He also needs three sets of kitten shots for immunity, so bring him into your vet to start the process ^_^