My kitten won't go downstairs by himself. He keeps waking my wife an I in the mornings so he can eat.

We have a 5 month old kitten who is great. He sleeps with us or our kids upstairs at night but, in the mornings when he's hungry he won't just go downstairs to his bowl to eat. He keeps meowing and bothering us as we're trying to sleep so, that someone will come down with him. He has food in his bowl so, that's not the issue. This starts around 4 am every morning and we're getting very tired of this. If we try to go back to bed he comes running back upstairs meowing, etc.

We don't really want to have food upstairs if we can help it as there's really no room for it. Especially since we had to get a 2nd litter box for upstairs since he wouldn't go down to use the other one in the mornings either.

Please help me get some sleep!

Asked by Member 1143120 on Nov 30th 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Phoebe

It does not sound like food is the motivation here - he wants attention. He is a kitten - they need stimulation. Does he have anything to play with upstairs? Access to the windows? If all he wanted was to eat - he would eat. I have a cat that does this - but his motivation is food - he is not free fed so when he is hungry he will wake me up - if I feed him and go back to bed - he is fine. I think your kitty needs play time - I suggest play time before bed to tire him out - and then have some toys upstairs for him to discover and see if that helps. Good luck.

Phoebe answered on 11/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer