My kitten won't eat what do I do?

it was found by a friend of my dad who gave it to us to take care of. I don't know how old it is, I don't know it's gender, and I just don't know how to take care of this kitten. Plus I don't have the money to take it to a vet, can somebody please help?

Asked by Member 1014257 on Dec 2nd 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Hannah

Use this guide to figure out the kitten's rough age. www.rescueguide.com If it's under 4 weeks old it probably doesn't quite know what to do with solid food and needs to be bottle fed with special kitten formula you can get at most pet stores or stores with a good pet section. If it's over 5 weeks and won't try dry or canned food for more than half a day it is probably one very sick kitten and you should call local vets and see if they would be willing to treat it pro bono as it is a rescue or else surrender it to a shelter where they can try and save it. In the meantime you can try rubbing a drop of corn syrup or sugar water on the kitten's gums but that only buys them a little time if they are still not eating. Orphaned kittens are an uphill battle and sometimes veterinary care is the only thing that stands a chance of saving them.

Hannah answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

littleboy

it is hard to say how to feed it. If it is a ktiten still young enough for the momma's milk then you need to get it some kitten milk from thepet store and it is urgent that you get it asap. you will need to bottle feed it or feed it with any eye dropper. if it is an older kitten that already has been eating on its' own, the try some canned kitten food. Maybe you can even take it to the pet store and someone there can help you determine what it needs to eat.

littleboy answered on 12/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Munchkins

My first suggestion is if vet care is not an option due to the expense, then please take the kitten to your local shelter. If you still want to care for it, an option might be to foster it. The shelter will be able to help age the kitten and tell you the appropriate food. If the kitten is old enough for food, but not eating, one thing you can try is baby food. Try putting a bit in the kitten's mouth, or try using a syringe to feed them. Your local animal shelter can help you with this. But don't wait too long - after a certain period of time of not eating, the kitten won't - and will shut down....

Munchkins answered on 2/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wilson

Try KMR, Especially if the kitten is under four weeks. The little feline should begin to eat soft kitten food at four weeks and try a brand that has lots of "gravy" such as Whiskas in the pouch.

Wilson answered on 5/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer