my kitten was playing with her sister the other day and she just stoped and then just started panting like a dog. what s

my kitten was panting like a dog but i have never seen a kitten do that before what should i do?
I am really scared!

Asked by Member 609408 on Mar 18th 2008 in Health & Safety

Best Answer

Desmond Clyde

Sure it could be nothing But a panting cat is not so normal. A cat does not sweat by panting; a cat sweats through their paws. Panting in cats could be a sign of heart failure or respiratory distress.
Get the vet to listen to her heart do a ECG & Ultrasound.
Congestive Heart Failure causes fluid build up in & around the lungs making it difficult for your cat to breath. It is treatable if caught early enough. Hopefully it is just over exertion but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Desmond Clyde "Dizzy" answered on Mar 20th.

Answers

Ninja

as long as she's not wheezing or if it's going on for a long period of time, she's probably just out of breath.Basically think how long it takes you to catch your breath (even in good physical shape), but you can always call the vet it you're worried, free of charge. If she starts panting randomly without exerting any kind of energy then you should be worried and rush her to a vet.

Ninja answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Schmoo

Your kitten was excited and out of breath. Sometimes cats pant when they are stressed or overheated, but more than likely, this was just your kitten being overexcited.

If the panting occurs when your cat is resting, that's NOT normal. But they will pant sometimes if they've been running around playing.

Cats also do a thing called the flehman response. Cats have an organ in the roof of their mouth called a Jacobsen's Organ that assists both with smell and taste. They will sniff something intensely, then make an open-mouthed grimace face. This is so they can absorb the scent more deeply into the Jacobsen's Organ, and sense it more fully. This is normal as well.

Schmoo answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rocky

My baby Rocky was doing the same thing so when I took him in to get fixed I asked the vet about it. If she was playing and started to pant then yes she is out of breath. I had thought there was something seriously wrong also so I had everything checked out just to make sure. If they play hard for even ashort period of time they can pant very fast. Nothing to worry about unless it starts when she is not playing at all.

Rocky answered on 3/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer