Keira

My kitten poops a lot, is this a bad thing?

I dont get to see my kitten as often as my boyfriend does since she lives with him. He says that she poops a lot. Im not sure if he is exaggerating or what. From my understanding, she poops atleast 3 or 4 times a day. its all normal looking poop.

My guess is that she is just eating a lot more then she did with her previous owners. When we got her last friday, she was (and still is) pretty skinny. maybe like she wasnt fed enough. Now she has food and water available to her at all times.

So im just wondering, is it normal for a kitten to poop this often?

Asked by Keira on Dec 12th 2007 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

It's the old "what goes in has to come out" theory. If she's eating more, she's pooping more. If you haven't had her stool checked for worms at a vet, you might want to do that now. It's a good idea to have her checked at a vet anyway to make sure she has all her tests/shots, etc., and that everything else is OK with her. You don't say how old your baby is, but Izzie is 7 months old and is just starting to "fill out" now. I still think he's too skinny, but he eats like a horse. Also, if she eats wet food that will make her go more as the water and fat content of canned food is higher than dry.

Lucille Abigail Twinkletoes

We just got kittens and I am cleaning the litter boxes like 5 -8 times a day! I used to have the automatic litterboxes, but they smelled. So now I scoop lots of poop. I do think lots of poop is normal, but be aware (because we are going through it) parasites and worms make lots of poop too, so be sure your kitty was dewormed and checked by a Vet. All the best and poop matters!

Lucille Abigail Twinkletoes answered on 12/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

Kittens have higher metabolic rates than adult cats, so they eat more and poop more. 3-4 poops a day is not unusual for a kitten under a year old. If your kitten was underfed before you adopted her, she's probably eating more to get the nutrition she lacked previously. If she had fleas, she probably has tapeworms, and that will make her eat more, too. Your vet can deworm her. The type of food she eats (wet vs dry) does not not affect the amount of poop she has.

Lily answered on 12/20/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer