Freddy

My kitten pooped all over himself twice, should i be worried?

My new kitten is 8 weeks old. I just got him yesterday and he pooped on himself twice so far, but he does go in his litter box okay. Should i be worried that something could be wrong with him or is this normal kitten behavior? I plan to buy some waterless kitten shampoo and a brush to clean him up better.

Asked by Freddy on May 16th 2008 Tagged kitten, hygiene, health in Health & Safety

Best Answer

Cow and Bahji

If he long haired? we have an outdoor kittty with long hair who sometimes gets a mess on himself. Not because he's got anything wrong with him, but because theres a lot of floof back there and it's sometimes hard to reach everything all at once. A Vet visit should be planned anyways for his shots just like the other kitties have said. You can use a warm washcloth and a tiny amount of thinned down tearless baby shampoo too for cleaning up kittty. The warm washcloth will remind kitty of mama washing. You may want to put him in the litterbox and wash his lil bum with the warm washcloth then. mama cats do this (with their tounges, not washcloths of course, hah) to encourage baby to go potty in that particular place, like potty training for todlers, only kitty style ;).

Cow and Bahji answered on May 16th.

Answers

There could be a few reasons why this happened. If you switched his food all of the sudden--if you aren't feeding him what he was eating before, then it could cause stomach upset and loose or runny stools and make a mess. He could also be stressed from being adopted. If a lot of people are making a big fuss over him, he's probably over stimulated and needs a rest. He also could have worms. Get him, or at least a stool sample, to your vet asap. If you don't have a vet, you need to find one because this baby needs his vaccinations and a check-up if he hasn't already had them.

Sherlock and Kritter

We agree with Izzy about getting the stool sample checked, but you don't say how far away from the litter box he was. At eight weeks, he may not have the best control over his bathroom habits yet. Maybe if you get another litter box in a different part of the house, it would help.

Sherlock and Kritter answered on 5/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

That was normal behavior for me! I also peed alot outside of the litter box cause I just didn't have it all together at such a young age. I was about 8 weeks old or younger when Mom brought me home, and I had lots of bloody stools. Mom was really worried and took me to the vet, but I was fine. All that cleared up, and now I proudly can say that I have no trouble using the litter box! I just needed some time to learn how to get to the litterbox in time.