my kitten is too skinny, and wont eat(cant afford a vet)plz help

please help

Asked by Member 1113802 on Jun 2nd 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Sheba

If you have a syringe, without a needle, get some milk, BUT NOT COWS MILK, and put the syringe into the kitten's mouth, and depress the syringe. This worked when we had a kitten that was 1 week old and crawled away from the nest, but we didn't notice until he was really cold, but we did the above method and it worked!

Sheba answered on 6/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sidney

my sidney when we got her was only 5oz she was a tiny runt and very very under weight , the vet told us to feed her mother milk you buy from and pet store of vet place and feed her kitten soft food , she could not eat hard kitten food and it was hard on her when i soften it for her , so you should try her on soft food because they normaly love if more then hard food and kittens love milk , that should fatten her up , but do not feed loads of stuff at a time because she may not be use to it , if she is not on it , and if she is tiny , just a little soft food at a time . you do not want to make her over eat and make her sick

sidney answered on 6/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Your kitten most likely has worms or some other parasite or disease that is making her ill. They won't eat when they don't feel well. You can bottle feed her KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer), but unless she gets veterinary care, she won't thrive. Contact your local animal shelter to find out about low-cost/no-cost veterinary assistance programs in your area. Good luck.

You don't say how old she is but making sure she has the milk replacement - powdered is cheaper - and syringe feeding it or even try a bottle feeding You can get that at the pet store also. Always wet canned kitten food. But if she hasn't been dewormed she will not thrive. The medicines you get for worms at the walmart or pet store do not work well. It is possible the vet will just order the pills for you without being seen. You can put the kitten food in a blender with some of the kitten milk and puree it and use that in the feeding syringe. Feed often and not lots at a time. catinfo.org
I wish we had more info as maybe more answers would be found. See if you can find a vet that will let you make payments. You can look into this for payments they work very will with you and help lots. www.carecredit.com
I hope your baby starts to eat.

Apollo

Start using soft food. I guarantee that your kitten will start eating. My kitten was very underweight and malnourished when I got him. You can start going back to hard food later by mixing the two.

Make sure you feed him/her 3 times a day. They need more nutrition than adult cats.

Hope that helps! :)

Apollo answered on 11/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

go to a vet and ask if they do pdsa its for people on benefits or low incomes and they will neuter her free as well but it sounds to me it only needs wormed you get cheap ones in pet shop but its best to get tablet from vet .