Luna (Oak)

My kitten has enflamed anal glands and diarrhea. She doesn't let me clean her and screams when I try.

I have tried using Tucks pads to help clean the area but she really puts up a fight. She is about 6 weeks old, just starting on solid food, kitten chow, but still is being bottle fed on KMR. She is a foundling kitten along with her siblings, so her mother isn't around to teach her proper cleaning etiquette and I often have to clean them myself. I hope they eventually will do what come naturally as they get older, and I have older cats that they can hopefully learn from as well. But for now I want to help her out of her distress. Thanks.

Asked by Luna (Oak) on Aug 31st 2008 Tagged cleaning in Behavior & Training

Answers

Take her to a vet so they can empty her anal glands and make sure there is no infection. Even if there is no infection anal glands get painful when they are full and thats why she doesn't want you to touch her at the moment. Its not easy to do yourself so you need a vet/vet tech to do this for you.

Once her glands are empty you should be able to start cleaning her again without problems.

Normally when a cat poops that expresses their anal glands but with diarrhea their anal glands fill up and get inflamed. Once the diarrhea is gone she shouldn't have problems with her anal glands any more.

Sassy is absolutely right. It's no reflection on you as you are doing the best you can, but sometimes when the distress of the kitten is this intense, it may take a professional to help her. She may have to be sedated. They may even trim the area for you if she is long haired so it will be easier to wipe. If that's her photo, she's a doll!

Boris

Sassy is right, this is a problem best handled by the vet, at least the first time around.

Boris answered on 9/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer