My kitten has a round tight stomach

We just got this little one and her brother from the vet 3 months ago, they are both 7 months old fixed, wormed, vaccinated, the whole works. A few weeks ago the little girls tummy started to get big and tight, we know that shes fixed and so is her brother. She still eats, and drinks, and wants love , however she hasnt been in the mood to play alot. is she eating too much or could it be worms?

Asked by Member 1027568 on Mar 22nd 2011 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

You did the right thing by being concerned. You need to get back into the vet's office with your little girl because a swollen tight belly isn't normal -- not even on a human. As far as her behavior is concerned, any switch in a cat or kitten's behavior is their way of saying something is wrong. Since cats are not biologically programmed like us or even dogs to whine, yelp, cry or mope they just have a subtle shift in behavior. They often still eat and some will still play. A lot of times we don't know anything was ever wrong until it's too late. Anyway, this is why she isn't in the mood to play and wants love. She is saying "I need you cuz I not feewin good." Purrs to your little precious girl and you, I hope you get her to the doctor soon

Miss Edith is right. Although your kitten is "older", sometimes it takes a few courses of worming medication to truly eradicate the problem or they become chronic. It's possible the vet only did one course of worming. Be prepared to take in a stool sample. It doesn't matter if it's her's or her brother's if it is worms since they should both be treated, but if you see her go, all the better. To do this, put a baggie over your hand, pick up the feces, turn the bag over the sample and close. Doesn't matter if it has litter on it. Please let us know how she's doing--and consider joining Catster and posting photos and a diary for your sweeties!

Thank you ( this is the one with the question) i now have a profile on her and put up a picture of my two kittens.I will try to get them in to the vet as soon as possible. Her belly actually seems a little smaller now, and i had found out that the little sneak :D had been sneaking seconds out of the catfood bag. this morning she actually got up a decided to play, though my feet were the target. We called the adoption place we got them from and let them know what was going on. (they also have earmites, and had them when we adopted them so we gave the adoption place the heads up). Once again thank you for the answers and i will keep you all updated. :D