my kitten goes potty where ever she feels like it when she has the run of the house but if i shut her in the bathroom sh

Asked by Member 1068095 on Nov 3rd 2011 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

There are a few reasons why cats don't use the box. She may be too young and not realize what the box is for. In that case, you must take over the role of mamacat and gently place her in the box after she's eaten or awakened and tell her to "go potty". She may not like the litter, the location of the box, the box may not be clean enough for her, or she is a cat who prefers one box for pee and the other for poo. She could also be using the spots around the house b/c she smells herself there. I have my rugs professionally cleaned each month to try and destroy the pet urine odors. That's extreme, but a good pro cleaning of your rugs never hurts. If your kitten hasn't been to the vet yet, it's a good idea to have her checked out for a urinary tract infection. She's not doing this just to tick you off. To her, she has a good reason or just needs a little TLC training for her to "get the idea".