Penelope

MY kitten dry nurses??

my kitten dry nurses on my skin...i try to let her sleep with me some nights but i cant because its too annoying...what should i do?? by the way she is 4 months old.

Asked by Penelope on Aug 27th 2008 in Kittens

Answers

Howie

My Howie used to try to suckle on my ear, especially at night, for the first 6 months I had him. It drove me crazy. I was told it was because he was abandoned when he was a baby and not weaned properly. Plus, he looked at me as momma, so that's what came naturally. The vet said he'd have to grow out of it, but it would require some training too.

To get him to stop doing this I had to do 3 things. Every time he tried to suckle, I told him no, moved him and gave him cuddles so he knew he got more cuddles when he didn't suckle. Second, I gave him a toy for him to cuddle with and focus his love on. A fuzzy snake that to this day he carries around with him. Finally, I found some natural, non-toxic bath oil that I used to put on my ear. A few tastes of that and he started to get the idea. Do you have a lotion she doesn't like the smell/taste of? Or maybe an oil like I did.

Talk to your vet to see if he had any ideas. Otherwise, she may just have to outgrow it.

Good luck!

Howie answered on 8/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Howies advice is really good but rather than using a lotion I'd use bitter apple. Lotions could have something in them that'd Penelope sick but bitter apple is used for pets to stop them suckling/chewing things they shouldn't. Its a liquid/spray that you'll be able to get at your vets or probably also at pet stores.

babies

My snow is a year old and while she was pregnant she would suckle on my ear lobes. I think she was abandoned also. Once she had her kittens she grew out of it. I almost looked forward to at night when I crawled into bed. She would crawl up on pillow and meow. She out grew it now that she has her kittens. Enjoy the kisses while there young I guess! Best wishes.

babies answered on 9/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sixtoes

I also have a kitty hickey kitten! At first it was cute and funny but after waking up with little kitty hickeys on me I have tried to put a stop to this. I will hiss at him and gently put my hand on his head and push him away. This seems to work for a while. But it works better with consistency and everyone in the house doing it. Also try giving your kitty a lovey. Something she can 'nurse' on like a stuffed animal or towel or something.

Sixtoes answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer