Blondy

My kitten doesn't know how to clean her self properly after using the litter box , is it ok if I clean her with baby wip

Asked by Blondy on Jan 9th 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

Welcome to Catster! I can imagine that with Blondy's coloring, you will be dealing with this all her life. It's absolutely OK to use baby wipes (for sensitive skin or the unscented or "natural" ones) or even a wet paper towel to clean her up. You might even want to have her trimmed "back there" by a groomer or a vet to make it easier for her. Don't use too much litter in her box, either. Cats really only need about 2 inches to cover their business. Also, make sure that you get her used to brushing now when she's young and she'll come to enjoy it as she gets older.

I have a house full of long haired cats and I use baby wipes all the time. As Izzie suggested, unscented ones are best. You may also need to keep Blondy's rear end shaved to make it easier. I recently had a diarrhea outbreak with 6 of mine and keeping the butt area trimmed helped a lot. It is also common to give Persians/Himalayans "bottom only" baths. When I got Allie, I had bought a book on their care and it has that suggestion in it. I fill the bathroom sink with some warm water and a squirt of baby bath and just put their rear in and swish the water on it to clean them up. Then dry her with a towel. It's not so bad because it's just the bottom half. It is easier if you introduce them to baths as kittens. Most of mine take it well except Kira who seems to think I am trying to kill her and scratches her way up over my shoulder until I am a bloody mess. But make it as calm and pleasant as you can if you need to wash her behind.