My kitten Alex will be eight months old on the 13 this month, and he's having trouble coughing up hairballs.

Alex is about eight months old now and he can't
cough up hairballs.
He tries to, he gets down on the floor and starts
coughing, this continues for about five minutes,
he never coughs anything up. Any advice on how to stop
this problem? Could I use hairball paste? How can I use
hairball paste? Alex hates taking any medicine and
it's a challenge to get him to swallow any kind of
medicines. Do I give it to him by mouth?
Any suggestions?
I don't like watching him try so hard to
cough up something and not be able to.
Could you please help me?

Asked by Member 1030726 on May 11th 2011 Tagged hairballpaste, troublecoughinguphairballs in Other Grooming

Answers

Allie tends to have hairball problems and none of mine will eat hairball remedy. I even bought a fish flavor from Fosters & Smith and still no success. I tried putting it on a paw like they suggest and it made a mess but she still wouldn't eat it. If I put it in her mouth, she yacks it back out. The only thing that has helped her is to keep her on a higher fiber diet. 5% fiber or more is best for cats with hairball problems. We went from a hairball a night to none at all. Mine are eating Royal Canin Oral Sensitive which is 7.5% fiber. Persians have dental issues so I had to switch to that but they previously ate Natural Balance Indoor Ultra which is 8% fiber. I don't know of any canned foods with high fiber though. At 8 months old, he is almost ready to be switched to adult food so this might be the time to try it. Any food switch should be done gradually though, mixing old with new for a while and slowly increasing the new.

Twinkle has a major problem with hairballs. She rarely throws up & she's a long haired cat. I used to have to take her at the first of every year to the vet to get an enema because she'd get blocked up with hariballs. I've tried the more expensive hairball gels & they didn't work for her & she didn't really seem to like them much. I've been using Pro-Pet Hairball Eliminator off & on for a few months now & so far, Twinkle hasn't had a problem with hairballs. In fact, I've even seen her poop out some fur so it works. They sell it at Walmart. I mix it in her wet food & she'll lick it off my finger too. I'll give it to her for around 4 days in a row & then I'll stop for about a week & a half & then I'll give it to her again for around 4 days in a row, then stop, etc. It's inexpensive & it's working for Twinkle so you may want to give it a try! Good luck!

First of all, make sure it is a hairball problem. If Alex has not yet been to the vet, you might want to think about taking him in. He may have a growth or polyp. This is unlikely, but it's a good idea to get him checked out. You might also want to try purchasing the "pet grass" they sell at the pet stores. The grass you grow yourself is tastier to the kitty, but my cats will also eat the storebought stuff. Some of it is wheatgrass and some is barley grass. You can find cat grass seeds on the 'net. I use www.citycatbiz.com. This auto-reverses almost immediately and it's a great help in ejecting those pesky hair pellets. Since the cats enjoy it, there's no WWF wrestling match to get medication down them. When I tried to give Delilah something called "Laxatone" she looked at me like I was trying to poison her, but she loves the cat grass. One caution though, since you'll be encouraging them to eat plants, make sure any other houseplants you have are not poisonous. Your vet can advise.

Salem

Regular petroleum jelly is what I use for my guys - they lick it right off my fingers. It will help kitty pass the hairball. If you do get hairball paste or try petroleum jelly and he just won't eat it, rub it on top of his paws, this will force him to lick it off. Good luck!

Salem answered on 5/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat Lily did the same thing and I *thought* it was a hairball problem. When I described it to my vet, he said it sounded more like a case of feline asthma, and that's what it turned out to be; but check with your vet.

Lily's is a mild case, thankfully. I started sitting next to her, petting her and speaking in a reassuring tone to try to calm her during an attack...seemed to help. Now, years later, she'll look over at me when she starts wheezing, and I can calm her by talking to her.

I've noticed she has "attacks" if she's been playing hard, or running around, or if there's a lot of pollen or dust in the air (we live near farmland). Spring or summer I usually run a little air cleaner (which is probably helps everyone in the household!).

Sorrel

ok that would be sad to watch but if u want to help him here is a couple ways to help him

1. You can feed him hairball control cat food
2. feed him petroleum jelly to get the hair balls out
3. groom him more often
4. get a furminator deshedder they work wonders i use it on my Maine coon and they have a three layer coat she used to have so many hair balls but now she dosent have like any and you can get them at almost any pet store

well good luck I hope that helps but the best reasults would be from the deshedder :)

Sorrel answered on 5/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer