Alice

My indoor/outdoor cat has fleas! Looking for suggestions on green methods of de-fleaing the house

We're treating her with topical flea meds, and vaccuuming regularly. Anyone have recommendations for non-toxic ways to kill fleas in the carpet?

Asked by Alice on Mar 26th 2010 Tagged fleas, green in Flea & Tick Protection

Answers

Hambone

Try sprinkling the carpet with salt. Leave it for an hour and then vacuum.

Fleas bug.

Hambone answered on 3/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Use 20 Mule Team Borax (found in the laundry section of your grocery store) when
you vacuum. First you sprinkle it around and wait about 20 minutes before you vacuum. It really works and it is non-toxic to our pets. It may take a few weeks because fleas lay eggs and you need to completely break the life cycle. Also the only good use for a flea collar is to put it in the vacuum cleaner bag to kill any survivors:)

First you need to bathe your cat with some Dawn dishwashing liquid. Second, apply a topical flea med (Advantage is a good one) to your cat. Apply it every 30 days if your cat goes outdoors. Also, you could try "All-in-One Flea Remedy made by Only Natural Pet. It is made with all natural ingredients and veterinarian approved. Finally, once you have vacuumed, throw away the vacuum cleaner bag. You will have to throw away the bags frequently to prevent reinfestation in your carpets. Good luck.

asia

I'm using Diatomaceous Earth. I bought the brand FleabustersRx, but read on the label that it can be toxic to animals. I have since purchased food grade DE which can be sprinkled on carpets and vacumned up a few days later. It can also be applied directly to the animals coat( like flea powder). The fine granules of silica have sharp edges that scratch the surface of the fleas exoskeleton which causes them to dehydrate and die.
Can't get any greener than that. I've had it with the spot-ons, the tablets, the flea trap(which only trapped one of the kittens and no fleas).
Try DE. You can purchase it online at numerous bulk food suppliers and some pest control suppliers.

asia answered on 7/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

put equal parts vinegar and water into spray bottle... you can also sray it on your cat, but i heard cats dont like the smell.

also you can cut up a lemon put it in boiling water and let sit over night, put in spray bottle. can also be used on cats, but be careful not to get in eyes.

you can spray these on furniture/ carpets ext...

Use Chlorine Bleach (concentration ratio 1:99) to clean you floor and furniture.

Brought to you by:
Miniwan Pet Pharmacy
www.miniwan-online.com

Merlin

I use DE (Diatomaceous earth) also. It is great, and you can use a bit (of food grade) to de-worm them too! (I know ours get worms when they get fleas.) I really suggest it!

Merlin answered on 12/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer