Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

My human wants to know if she can catch colds off me! I sneeze, she sneezes!!

It sounds silly, but I sneezed in her and dads faces a lot and then they got a cold!
I am prone to upper respiratory problems because I was a very sickly kitty (vet lady reckons I will always have a runny nose/eyes because of damage caused by bad infections as a kitten). They aren't serious, but are these colds catching? Or are we ALL sensitive to dust and hairs?

Asked by Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov on Jul 6th 2008 Tagged cold, colds, sneezing, runnynose in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Cleo (The Queen)

My mommy knows how you feel-we always get sick at the same time, but the vet said we aren't giving it to each other. We are just prone to the same allergies, and getting head colds. Mommy's friends always pick on her for picking me-a cat who has a stuffed up nose -just like her. They told her, "Only you would pick a cat with allergies and nose issues."

Cleo (The Queen) answered on Jul 9th.

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

I'm around sick cats and dogs daily and I have never caught their ills. As far as I know you cannot pass colds across species. Thats why we put really sick or unvaccinated puppies in with our cats, and really sick or unvaccinated kitties in with the dogs. I would assume that the same rule applies to humans.

As far as I know the only things that humans and animals can give each other are ringworm and other fungus, and intestinal parasites.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ernie- 2006-2008

you can't catch a cold from a kitty, but she could pass conjunctivitis ("pink eye") to you if she had it. Most diseases transmitted from animals to humans come from handling animal feces, being scratched or bitten by infected animals, or like when I got poison ivy last summer, from petting them when they've got something on their fur. Chances are if there's a lot of pollen or dust where you live, that's what you all are sneezing from!

Ernie- 2006-2008 answered on 7/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Schmoo

The type of cold a cat can get is not the same rhinovirus that causes human colds. More than likely it was a coincidence and your humans got their cold from another human. My hu-mom volunteers at a shelter with sick kitties all the time and never gets their illnesses. She has never transmitted them to us, either.

As long as you have had your FVRCP shots (feline vaccine for rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and herpes) you should not be getting colds, so what you probably have is mild allergies or overly active sinuses. Me and the other kitties in our house sneeze a lot at this time of year when everything is in bloom (grass, trees, etc.) . But if your mucus buildup blocks your breathing, your vet lady may be able to give you a medication that will suppress that overactive immune system of yours.

So you didn't give a cold to your hu-parents! Tell them not to touch their eyes or noses ever without washing their hands. That's how human colds are transmitted. Al is NOT GUILTY! :-)

Schmoo answered on 7/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer