My has black specks around the individual strands of his fur when looked at under a microscope

Today I looked at my cats hair under a microscope, and say that there were small black microscopic specks with a clear interior. My cat is 7 years old and has no symptoms at all. Does anyone know what this is?

Asked by Member 1153601 on Feb 4th 2013 Tagged fur, microscopic, blackspecks in Grooming

Answers

What color is your cat? It sounds like regular dirt or flea dirt. Is he an outside cat? I would start a flea treatment if he is, or go for a check up if he's not. If your cat has fleas, your carpet has fleas, and the whole house needs to be de-fleaed from top to bottom... quite an ordeal. Follow the directions of the medicine carefully and do not over-pesticide your pet!! ^_^