my friend had a stroke and needs to rehome her 2 cats,where do I go for help in this area?

My friend recently had a stroke and she is still in the stroke therapy hospital. I need to rehome her 2 cats,one is 12 & a female (Callie);the other is 8 & a male (Sundance). Can you help me?
These cats were rescued by Arlene before she got sick.
Thank you,
Patriciaroselle Oliver
925-944-9217
lafmore1@juno.com

Asked by Member 504673 on Nov 26th 2011 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

This is a very sad and unfortunate situation. However, being a nurse myself, I have to ask: 1) How long will your friend be in a rehabilitation facility? 2) Is there any way you (or someone else) could care for the cats until your friend returns home? If there is no chance that she will be well enough to go back to her home, then I guess the best thing would be to re-home the cats. If this is the case, call some local no-kill shelters, or the SPCA in your area. I hope your friend gets better and regains her strength. Best wishes to you, your friend and the kitty cats.

Guest has some good advice. I agree, a short term foster home situation would be ideal. If your friend will never be able to return home and care for her cats, then they will have to be re-homed. You can make the cats a Catster webpage and mark them as "adoptable". Check with the cats' vet to see if you can post something on their bulletin board and if they know of anyone who might be interested in the cats. Pet stores often have bulletin boards you may be able to post the cats on. Check with local no-kill shelters and rescues. Sadly, adult cats are difficult (but not impossible) to re-home. It will likely take some time, patience, and effort, but you will find the right home. Be sure to check references and make sure the cats go to a good, responsible home.