My female cat of 13yr has recently begin what sounds like snoring or grunting/whimper sound when she sleeps and now awak

She now makes the sound lying awake.Also noticed an increase in volume as well as frequency of water intake.Some times 15/20min apart. Weaker than normal because would normally have no problem jumping up in my lap. Normal weight, lean. She throws up once or twice a week but lately no hair ball. I also noticed her claws being brittle breaking off whole. No vet recently. I will be seeing a vet. tomorrow but will go sooner if need be. It makes me think of a upper respitaory infection or lung cancer.
P.S. She is a smoker. Meaning she is around smoke daily.
Thank you for your time. Concerned, David

Asked by Member 1075301 on Dec 4th 2011 Tagged breathing, weakness, excessivewater, respiratory in Senior Pet

Answers

Hi, David. You are doing the best thing possible for your elderly lady by taking her to the vet. Even if we were veterinary professionals on this board, we really shouldn't try to diagnose or suggest treatment for a cat we've never seen and don't know. It's taking a chance that the owner won't see a vet in real-time and we could be causing more harm than good. At your cat's age. she should be keeping in contact with her vet a least once a year. That's good way to nip health concerns in the bud before they become life-threatening. As for the smoking, is it possible for you to go out to smoke? My husband does that and it does help a lot. Purrs that all works out well!