reno

my female cat nurses herself. she is 1-1/2yrs. old. she is spayed. any weaning suggestions?

Asked by reno on Feb 15th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Chewy

When my mommy first adopted me and my son Beanie together, Beanie was 6-7 months old. He would still nurse on me, and I nursed on myself too! We usually did it at the same time too. Beanie would start nursing on me and then I would start nursing on myself. Mommy laughed because it was quite the sight. She had never witnessed a cat nursing on themselves before. I didn't have milk anymore, but me and Beanie just liked to do it for comfort. Both of us eventually grew out of it after about a year. It doesn't hurt and doesn't cause any problems so I wouldn't worry about it. You will most likely grow out of it too.

Chewy answered on Feb 15th.

Answers

Perhaps you could repost and make it clearer exactly what you mean by "nursing herself" and the need for "weaning." All I can picture is a cat sucking milk from her own nipples--which seems highly unlikely. Please clarify what you mean and we'll do our best to help.

What Leila said.

If you mean sucking on things, people and other cats, it's probably a comfort issue, but we do need more detail.