My female cat is in heat and for the first time is peeing all over the house, why is she now spraying?

she has been in heat many times before and this is her first time to start spraying, we got a new male kitten about two months ago who is neutered but she has been in heat since then and has never done this. I need help!!!

Asked by Member 1014393 on Dec 3rd 2010 Tagged female, cat, spraying, heat in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Lowell

It sounds like she's reacting to the male kitty, even though he's neutered. I've seen neutered and spayed cats pretend to mate, so reproductive instincts don't seem to disappear entirely when the gonads are removed. My guess is that your kitty is either responding to your boy as a male presence, or else marking her territory because there is now a new cat in the house, irrespective of sex. Another possibility is that there are male admirers outside the house that are setting her off. You can stop your kitty from going into heat, and probably stop the marking as well, if you get her spayed. Unless you have good reasons for not spaying her, both you and your kitty will be happier if she's spayed. If money is a problem, other Catsters can advise you on cheap spay options.

Lowell answered on 12/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lowell is right. Although spaying a female cat who is already spraying to mark her territory doesn't guarantee she'll never spray again, unless you are a breeder, you need to have her spayed. In time, your male cat will also begin to spray where your female has marked. Your home will reek of cat urine and once it gets out of hand, you'll need to recarpet and repaint your entire home to rid it of the smell. I speak as someone who's had this experience. Your queen may also start attacking the male kitten if she feels threatened by his presence. So, it's better all around that you have her spayed. Google "low cost spay/neuter clinics" and the name of your city. Many cities now have clinics that offer very inexpensive vet care including spay and neuter for as little as $20.00.