R.I.P Mollie

My female cat acts like she is spraying but there is no wetness or urine smell

She is almost a year old and has been doing this for at least 6 months. She will back up against a wall, a door, a chair, the bathtub . . . basically anything vertical and she will quiver her tail. I've never owned a cat before so I researched what this meant and found out that this is the behavior of a cat when they are spraying. So when I found this out I kept a look out and the next time I saw her do this I ran my hand against the surface and it was not wet. I have not smelt any urine smell either. Is it normal for a cat to go through the motions of spraying but not actually go through with it? Or is she doing something else?

I have never had a problem with her using the bathroom outside her litter box except the passed two times she's been in heat. I caught her peeing around the house. I figured this was caused by her hormones and so I finally decided to get her spayed. She was spayed yesterday and today she has basically been sleeping. Will these behaviors stop now???

Asked by R.I.P Mollie on Apr 17th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

If she was already in the habit of spraying, she may still be going "through the motions" without realizing she's actually not spraying. My Lily Rose does this also-exhibits spraying behavior without actually spraying. It takes a while for all those hormones to exit her body, especially if she's already been in heat. It may take a few week before you notice a difference in her behavior, but be assured that you have absolutely done the right thing by having her spayed.

Jingo

Jingo does this too and she never actually sprays either. She's 2 now and was spayed at 6 months, has never been in heat and has never been with other cats who spray. It does look exactly like when a cat sprays but Jingo seems to do it when she's happy.

The mock spraying may stop now Mollie's been spayed but she might be like Jingo and its just a quirky little habit. As long as they don't actually spray its not a problem.

Jingo answered on 4/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It may help stop it, but maybe not. My cat Nikita was spayed at 6 months old and she did that her entire life. Not all of the time, but every once in a while when she was excited, I would see her back up and her tail would shake just like a male does when he is spraying. No urine, no stink. Very strange. But females can spray and actually be wet and stinky. So it's good that Mollie's isn't. I have five females now and I have never seen any of them doing it. Regardless of the spraying issue, she will be a healthier happier cat because you spayed her. No more going into heat. No more risk of her getting out and getting pregnant. A longer healthier life with no risk of ovarian cancer and a reduced risk of mammary cancer.

I have a few spayed females. Mollie is just doing a natural motion, but lucky for you not spraying. Two of my girls do the same thing, just a tail quiver. Unfortunately, I also have a sprayer. Spaying is always good. She may or may not still tail quiver.