My ex-girlfriend took one of my 2 cats . I'm worried my cat will be lonely, should I get a replacement? If so, how soon?

I have a 2 year old male cat. About 9 months ago we adopted a 1 year old female kitten. It took about a month for them to accept each others presence because my cat is incredibly shy. The cat that remains wasn't super close to the other cat, they rarely snuggled, and he begrudingly let her lick him but never groomed her. But they did play together for a little bit each day. I'm worried, however, that even if he didn't play with her / shower her with affection he valued having another cat around in the apartment. I am around a decent amount and will play with him, but I don't want to deny him something he needs. At the same time, I don't have a good apartment for breaking in two cats that can't be in the same room together.

Asked by Member 963859 on Feb 14th 2010 Tagged lonely, friend, playmate in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Not knowing your cat and seeing first hand his reaction to suddenly being the only again, it's hard to say. Some cats are "people" cats and some are "cat" cats. Izzie loves his sisters, but I think he'd probably be allright on his own, too. You would need to keep the new cat separate from your cat and if you don't have the accomodations to do that, it would be very difficult for your cat. Is he moping around? Restless, off his food? Then he probably misses the other cat. If he's the same as he was when she was around, then he's OK on his own. If you do adopt again, go to a reputable shelter who will ask many questions about your lifestyle, your resident cat and what you are looking for in another cat. Do not "impulse" adopt just because you like a cat's fur color ;-) as that probably wouldn't work out for you, the new cat or your resident cat.

All cats are diferent. I got my cat a buddy and he just didn't like her. Eventually I got a dog and my cat LOVED him (?). Your cat might be happy being "your" only cat. If he seems happy don't worry .