My dog recently attacked my cat. The dog is an Alaskan Malamute. I made the mistake of leaving a gate down so blame my

All I am wanting is some peace of mind. Not sure I will get that. I did the wrong thing in not taking him in immediately. I never thought this could be the case, a fracture. Did I kill him by picking him up and moving him around, etc.?

Asked by Member 1079635 on Dec 24th 2011 in Blogs

Answers

I have a Shepherd/Husky/Doberman mix who chases my cats. She is very predatory and I know that because of this,as long as she's around I can't have a kitten. She chases my cats, especially Lizzie and I know she's not playing. I understand how you feel. Yes, you were wrong in not rushing your cat right to a vet, but you already know this. You probably did not cause more damage by moving him. His injuries could have gone beyond a fracture, injuries that were not apparent to you. You had no choice and one doesn't think clearly in situations like this. As they say, hindsight is always 20-20. We all do regrettable things, and you certainly did not deliberately leave the gate down to allow your dog access to the cat. It is a very unfortunate, traumatic experience for you and my heart goes out to you. Speak with your vet and perhaps attend pet loss counselling if you can. You have my most sincere sympathy.