My daughter has a two year old female torte who is very prickly. She is getting a female rag doll kitten. Any suggesti

How best to introduce them. Tortie is kind of wild. Both are indoor kitties.

Asked by Member 1131589 on Sep 19th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

I understand that Ragdolls are pretty laid back, so the kitten will probably become the submissive one of the relationship. And I know that Torties have what's called "The Tortie Tude". It's difficult to isolate a kitten, but your daughter's biggest mistake would be to just bring the kitten home and drop her in the middle of the action. I predict the Tortie would freak out if she did that. She must figure out a way she can keep the 2 cats separate until the cat's curiosity gets the better of the Tortie and she stars pawing under the door, meowing, etc. Older cats seldom outright attack kittens, but they do "correct" them when the kittens get out of hand and your daughter should allow her to...to a point. If things get too intense, the Tortie should be removed and placed in a room as "time out". Spray bottles aren't a good idea b/c the kitten will get sprayed too and she's done nothing wrong. Your daughter can also counsel with her vet, who knows her Tortie, for advice.