My cat's skin is flaky and oily looking and feeling on her back. It's also matted. Any clue what's going on?

She's 9 years old and overweight. She's very anti-social and keeps to herself. I don't want to take her to a vet unless I have to. She goes psycho and they have to hold her down. Oh, and the oiliness is almost like you would expect to see or feel if you gave her a bath and didn't get all the soap out, but I know I do. Baths don't seem to help.

Asked by Member 928068 on Jul 2nd 2011 in Skin Problems

Answers

Well, being overweight is part of the problem. They can not groom themselves properly on their backside if they can't reach it. My Maggie is a chubby girl and the area right above her tail seems a bit greasy and it mats when her breed (Ragdoll) normally doesn't mat. I would try feeding her the best quality food your budget will allow. Limited grains & fillers and with meat as the main ingredient. (not meat by products) and to be sure that you are not overfeeding her. If you do not want to see the vet for advice on that, you can use the feeding guide on the bag but every cat is different so your vet is the best resource for how much she should be eating. A good quality diet in the right amount should help with the flaky skin & oiliness. Also, brush her frequently to help her keep those hard to reach places groomed. But cats really need to see their vet regularly even if they are difficult. Your vet may be able to prescribe a sedative for when she needs to go for a visit.