Lily

My cat's personality has done a complete 180 since our new addition! Will she go back to normal?

I've had a Maine Coon mix cat for about a year and a half. During this entire time, she has been my 'only child' and the apple of my eye. She's always been very friendly, affectionate and outgoing until last week I adopted a puppy.

The puppy himself is good with her; though he wants to play, he senses that she is not a fan and mostly stays away. When he does get near her, he is submissive and will roll onto his back and nudge himself towards her, belly up. She on the other hand primarily stays in the master bedroom and will occasionally come out to stare at him through the baby gate (I keep him in the kitchen). She growls when he gets close and pops him, but mostly ignores him.

The problem is with me. Now she avoids me and runs away when I come near. She barely lets me touch her and where she used to sleep curled up next to me at night, now she sleeps in the closet. She used to greet me when I came home and follow me around. I miss my kitty! Will she go back to her lovable self?

Asked by Lily on Jun 23rd 2013 Tagged behavior, puppy in Behavior & Training

Answers

Oh, she is mad right now and letting you know it. This is typical of a cat. You just have to make sure you try to give her extra affection, treats might help you win her to come near you so you can grab her and give her some love whether she likes it or not. Also, time. She needs time to adjust to this new unwelcome intruder, which is how she sees the pup. Try not to lavish affection on the pup in front of her. Her nose is out of joint right now, but she should get used to him soon and come around. This is very normal behavior from a cat. I'd try to find some really yummy treats for her, something she doesn't get very often that she likes, and try to get her to come to you with those. Good luck, hopefully they will become friends soon enough, and I bet they will, as long as you let the puppy know it is NOT ok to EVER chase the cat! That is very important.The pup will try but you need to make it clear to pup that cats are not for chasing, give him treats for calm behavior around cat.