Lily

My cat's personality has done a complete 180 since our new addition! Will she go back to normal?

I've had a Maine Coon mix cat for about a year and a half. During this entire time, she has been my 'only child' and the apple of my eye. She's always been very friendly, affectionate and outgoing until last week I adopted a puppy.

The puppy himself is good with her; though he wants to play, he senses that she is not a fan and mostly stays away. When he does get near her, he is submissive and will roll onto his back and nudge himself towards her, belly up. She on the other hand primarily stays in the master bedroom and will occasionally come out to stare at him through the baby gate (I keep him in the kitchen). She growls when he gets close and pops him, but mostly ignores him.

The problem is with me. Now she avoids me and runs away when I come near. She barely lets me touch her and where she used to sleep curled up next to me at night, now she sleeps in the closet. She used to greet me when I came home and follow me around. I miss my kitty! Will she go back to her lovable self?

Asked by Lily on Jun 23rd 2013 Tagged behavior, puppy in Behavior & Training

Answers

Dogs and cats are not natural enemies and chances are at some point they will get along. But think that if you have a significant other in your life and they brought someone else into your home. They would say, "I brought this 'person' home and they are here to stay. I love you but also will love them. You will now have to share me with them." You'd be ticked, wouldn't you? And hurt. You may protest by going into a closet, too! Spend as much time with your first baby as you can. She will forgive you eventually. Don't let the pup harrass her although she will probably take care of that herself. Don't reprimand her if she swipes or growls at the pup. She's setting the house rules for him. Good luck!