Squeakers (Gone Too Soon)

My cat's left eye is dilated and cloudy and she won't sit still long enough for me to look at it

I just noticed that my cat's left eye is dilated and seems cloudy while the other one seems normal. I don't know if it's an allergy or something way more serious

Asked by Squeakers (Gone Too Soon) on Sep 20th 2007 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Gitta

Hmm, Squeakers. Neither Mommy nor I are v-e-t-s so don't trust our word, but we have not experienced cloudiness and dilation as allergy symptoms and I DO get allergies. The allergies we tend to have are watery, sometimes goopy eyes, sometimes sneezies.

Does she have any nasal congestion (i.e. boogers, sneezing, etc.)? If the answer to this is yes, then it could be allergies (although it could also be a respiratory infection.

Is she pawing at her eye at all? Has her behavior been different recently? I think if it were me and the answers to these questions were yes, I would probably have to go to the v-e-t to check things out. That can be expensive though. Would your v-e-t let your pawrents email a digital photo of you so they could make a determination as to whether or not a carride is worthwhile? That might be the best thing to do if the v-e-t will let you do it...and if you'll let your pawrent snap a picture.

Good luck, Squeakers! I hope your eye is a-ok!

Gitta answered on Sep 20th.

Answers

Opie T-bear--In Loving Memory

I have two Persian cats, each is blind in one eye. Their blind eyes look like what you describe. Not to be too alarming here, but please get to a vet---this doesn't sound like an allergy to me----it could be a cataract or something else.-----Opie and the Fabulous Thunderbears

Opie T-bear--In Loving Memory answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Big Bad Baby Twinkle

Ummm... yoo bettah taik hur to da vettie-- and speeking frum purrsonal ekksperienss, da Vet DEFINITTLY knows how to make ME sit kwie-ittly!! (drats!!)

but your cattie seems to have a serious problem, so hie thyself and thy cattie to da vettie.

(I know if Meowmie lookt in da mirror and saw hur eye beein clowdy, she wudd run outta da howse and get to da doc so faaast!!)

Ack

Big Bad Baby Twinkle answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Darwin

Get thee to a vet. I know, I don't like 'em either, but sometimes ya' gotta go. You could have anything as simple as a foreign body in your eye, to a tumor or head injury. Not to scare you, but you need to get it checked out.

Darwin answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Is your cat older? If so,perhaps your furry friend has a cataract. i work for an ophthalmologist ( for humans). when patients say, " my vision is cloudy" it's often a cataract. Cats get them too. If it's bad you can see it.
On the other hand if when you say cloudy, you mean discharge, then it might be allergy or an infection. usually in humans infection discharge is stringy and yellow. clear, watery discahrge is allergy related. Is that true for felines? I don't know, I am not a vet.