My cats hate my new puppy. What can I do to make them more comfortable?

Three weeks ago we added a 7 week old puppy to our family. My 12 year old cats always got along great with our other two older dogs. We have not allowed the puppy to harass them. They can go upstairs and in the bedroom without him. They will not come into the kitchen or go out in their yard. What can we do to help them get back to normal. Thanks

Asked by Member 565236 on Feb 15th 2008 Tagged newpuppyoldcats in Behavior & Training

Answers

A 10 week old puppy is still a Holy Terror, I'm sure. You don't say what size the pup is, but if he's quite a bit larger than the cats, they're probably pretty scared of him! Let your cats do what they want to do and don't force any friendships or comraderie between the three of them. As long as they have their own space, they have what they need. "Back to normal" might not come for quite some time yet, at least not until baby brofur is out of the puppy stage and ready to negotiate a truce with his kitties. Don't stop the cats from correcting junior, either, unless it gets really nasty. A well placed smack on the nose will teach the pup that the cats mean business and are not there for his amusement.

Captain (RIP 2006-2010)

Yeah, I agree with the previous poster. Also, I'd think about heading to the local pet supply and picking up a Feliway diffuser. It really helps cats calm down in stressful situations, so maybe by putting one down in the kitchen, the cats will smell the scent and feel like this is their territory again.

good luck!!!

Captain (RIP 2006-2010) answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

try make them when the cats are asleep. the puppies might come in.

Toe Lula Tunnelworth

Puppies are holey terrors but figure things out everyone will give in and get along or draw a truce and ignore each other. Our Mom has the D.S.B.O.D (Dreaded-Squirt-Bottle-Of-Doom)that she uses on the little heathens. (sometimes us) It`s actually just an adjustable plant bottle set om stream. If the puppies get too annoying or rough with us she aims, fires, and tells them NO, Out, or Leave It! You choose the words to use. It works for other unwanted behaviors and can reach them while Mom`s on the computer. Just a suggestion and it might help with your puppy!
Good luck!

Toe Lula Tunnelworth answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer